The *.pth is the easiest solution to the problem of being able to run a
script within a given directory.  Mark, your solution also works wrt to
appending the needed directory.  In fact it is the same as mine.  Only
difference is the name of the file and the fact that I don't use an os
import line.

The problem I was having related to the following command line within my
paths.py file

                    from calctaxes import *

This wasn't working.  It turns out that the reason it didn't work was
because I typed

                    import paths

What I should have typed was

                    from paths  import *

Now when I use function within calctaxes, they work.  That is, I can type
the following

                     tx = calc(10,5)

Before I would get an error.  calc does not exist.