On Dec 22, 2004, at 9:46, Kevin Walzer wrote:

Your path looks correctly set up to me. If you have the Pythonmac
extensions installed, that's important, as my Eric3 app bundle actually
makes use of the Python interpreter embedded in the PythonIDE. (That
will be corrected in the next release of the entire package.) Therefore,
it's not clear to me why Eric3 isn't seeing the Qt module, assuming that
you're running the Eric3 version from /Applications.

I'm wondering if the problem is, in fact, because you replaced the Apple
- -installed version of Python with your own framework build. My package
assumes the standard Apple installation, and I believe the PyQt source
assumes this also. I'm not an expert on the internals of framework
builds of Python, but my understanding is that ripping out Apple's build
of Python can break things in unexpected ways.

I'm copying my reply to the PythonMac and PyKDE lists: perhaps Jack
Jansen (MacPython maintainer) or Phil Thompson (PyQt author) can shed
more light on that aspect of your problem.

I'll also see if I can find out more on my end.

Jay Mutter wrote:

| Yes i did set QTDIR and referring back to Brian's previous post i do
| think that it is some sort of path problem but i am not sure what.
|
| Anyway i only run Python 2.3.4 ( i terminated Apple's version long ago
| to avoid problems)

And yet, you caused them. This is probably the root if your problem. Messing with files in /System or /usr (except for /usr/local) is a recipe for disaster. There's always a better way to "replace" something, usually as simple as just putting /usr/local/bin (or other) early on in your PATH.

My suggestion:  Reinstall OS X, and don't screw it up this time.

| from running env i got
|

| PATH=/Developer/qt/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/
| usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql:/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/
| include:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/System/Library/Frameworks/
| Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin:/library/frameworks/ python.framework/
| versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages

What the heck is site-packages doing in sys.path?

| DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/qt/lib:
| PYTHONPATH=/system/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
| lib/python2.3/site-packages/

You should basically never set PYTHONPATH

| from running $PATH i got
| -bash:
| /Developer/qt/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
| local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql:/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/
| include:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/System/Library/Frameworks/
| Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin:/library/frameworks/ python.framework/
| versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages: No such file or directory

running $PATH? What the heck? If you mean typing just $PATH at a bash prompt, of course it's going to say no such file or directory, it's not supposed to do anything useful.

| My .bash_profile is
|
| # .bash_profile
| PYTHONPATH=/system/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
| lib/python2$
| export PYTHONPATH

These lines shouldn't ever be necessary

| QTDIR=/Developer/qt
| PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
| DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
| export QTDIR PATH DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

This looks right enough. Typically DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is a terrible, awful, evil thing to do, but that's how Qt works.

-bob