----- Original Message -----
From: Skip Montanaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> This is probably a bit off-topic for this list,

That's OK. This list is the only one I'm on where folks that seem to
really understand OS-X reside as well.

> It seems that Apple's upgrade policy almost forces me to buy new
> versions as soon as they are released.

It's not so much their policy, as the fact that they have been making
major changes, very frequently. This is a good thing, as 10.1 had, at
best the quality of a beta version.

> really hate to say this, but in this respect backward compatibility in
> Windows seems to be much better.

I'm no fan of windows, but you are absolutely right. Backward
compatibility is much better than it has been for OS-X. Of course, it
took Windows to get to NT 5 (Win 2000) to be worth using at all. Apple
did somethuing similar, but got to 10.3 MUCH faster, once they got started!

>  Am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that OS-X is a propriatary product, and they
therefore have you by the b**ls. If you want to run software like that,
you need to accept that fact. Apple has a long history of great
products, with occasional losers, a dedicated user base, and jerking
that user base around once in a while.

>From how I read your post, your only real objection is that Apple is
making you pay for all these upgrades. That's one thing I like about
Linux. Change is rapid, and backward compatibility is no better, but at
least I don't have to pay a bunch of money each time I upgrade.

As others have pointed out, the number of changes between the 10.1,
10.2, and 10.3 upgrades have been enough to justify calling it a "new"
version, and charging for it. However, they have been rapidly released.
I think free upgrades for say, three years would be reasonable.

On the other hand, some folks like to license software more as a lease.
Perhaps $100/yr isn't too much for the use of OS-X.

-Chris