Bob Ippolito wrote:

On Feb 14, 2005, at 12:09 PM, has wrote:

My preferred IDE architecture would be built on a completely component-oriented architecture. That way it can ship with the minimal components required to get started, and users can add, upgrade and remove components as and when they need them. For example, a new user needs everything visible so they can see what's available; an experience one may prefer everything driven by memorised keyboard combinations so they can devote screen estate to more important things like their code instead of floating palettes, on-screen help, etc.

I think Eclipse is intended to be like this -- though I can't say I have real experience using it.

Yes indeed. Since I just arrived back on planet python from javaland a couple of months back, I used Eclipse quite extensively. Eclipse has a tiny core and everything else is a plugin. IBM's WebSphere Application Developer package, I've gathered, consists of more than 500 plugins. Of course, the drawback to Eclipse is that it's Java. Whenever I would do some of my development on my Mac, I always found it to be a bit sluggish. I don't know if it's sluggish because of the plugins, or if it's sluggish because of the SWT gui toolkit.

Lately, I've been using JEdit (which is also Java, but I haven't found it to be sluggish).

Kevin