J. Devaney wrote:
Hello,

I'm working on a python project that requires audio I/O (via the
soundcard) - I basically just need a stream that can be analyzed in
real-time and stored to a file.  I've looked into various options -
such as portaudio using a python wrapper - but since portability
isn't really I issue I was wondering if there was a more direct
(and simpler approach).

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johanna

maybe this is not what you are looking for but you could use something like PureData or SuperCollider to analise the sound real time and then pass the info to python via OpenSoundControl protocol, there is a python implementation and runs pretty well.