W. R. Wing wrote:
> At 8:05 PM -0500 3/7/06, Charles Hartman wrote:
>
>>(Sorry! How simple can they get? But I don't know of a better place
>>to ask -- does anyone?)
>>
>>How do I execute a Mac application from the Terminal command line?
>
> Use the open command - as in:
>
> $open /Applications/GoogleEarth.app

In this particular case, IPython executes

  $EDITOR temp_file

and waits for the process to exit. open starts the application and exits
immediately, so IPython thinks the user has finished editing the file. As Ed
Leafe mentioned, BBEdit comes with a convenient command-line executable for just
this use. Since this is a common idiom for programs that start external editors,
this executable ought to have the desired behavior (possibly available through a
command line option). One should use this executable instead.

--
Robert Kern
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 an underlying truth."