This is for Bob Ippolito -

What version of readline comes with the Universal MacPython 2.4.3
release? And is it statically-linked, or is there a readline dylib
somewhere in the python framework?

I ask because Michael Broe reported some problems (see below) with
IPython that I had tracked down to issues with readline 5.1.
(Basically, the patches to readline 5.1 need to be applied.) It is
thus of interest as to what version of readline is supplied with
MacPython, and whether it is statically or dynamically linked.

Also of interest:
I had asked Michael to run python under GDB to see where the error he
reported was happening, and Michael had some trouble with that:
> ~ $ gdb python
> GNU gdb 6.1-20040303 (Apple version gdb-434) (Wed Nov  2 17:28:16
> GMT 2005)
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
>
> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> 0x8fe0100c in __dyld__dyld_start ()
> (gdb)

This might be partially due to the fact that Michael's not using the
latest version of GDB, but it's also possible that the problem stems
from the execve that python is doing inside the fake bundle. If the
most recent version of GDB can't handle the new python, that's a bit
of a pain! (I think the problem can be handled by telling GDB to
ignore SIGTRAPs, but this is a confusing issue...)

Thanks,

Zach