On  13 Nov 2006, at 11:59 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

David L Goldsmith wrote:
Hi!  I'm experiencing a problem with scipy; its install notes say
that it is not yet fully compatible with OSX and further say that in OSX one should ensure that one's gcc selection is set to 3.3. Mine is, but
I noticed that the Universal build Python binary I downloaded and am
using was built w/ gcc 4.0.1. Accordingly, I suspect this might be the
basis of my problem - any idea where I might obtain an OSX-compatible
Python built w/ gcc 3.3?  Thanks!

You can't do it. Universal binary capability was only added to gcc 4.0.

You are looking at somewhat old instructions. While there are still some problems with gfortran (which only supports gcc 4.0 rather than g77 with only
supports gcc 3.x), they are few and minor.

Install a gfortran binary from this page:

  http://hpc.sourceforge.net

Then build scipy using --fcompiler=gnu95

And don't forget to reset your gcc selection to 4.x.

Ronald