Hmmm, I think I must have been a few revs behind.  When I svn up'd to
HEAD and tried again it built and loaded.

Here's my setup:
macholib-1.1-py2.5.egg
modulegraph-0.7-py2.5.egg
py2app-0.3.6.dev_r53-py2.5.egg
setuptools-0.6c3-py2.5.egg
bdist_mpkg-0.4.2-py2.5.egg
pyobjc-1.4.1a0
Python 2.5
OS X (10.4.8) Intel

example built from latest pyobjc svn.

HTH

--Dethe

On 1-Mar-07, at 2:48 AM, Steve Freitas wrote:

> Hi Dethe,
>
> I attempted it again and unfortunately got the same error.
>
> I actually decided to do a fresh 10.4.8 install, did Xcode, Python 2.5
> and setuptools 0.6c5. I installed PyObjC 1.4 from source (the stable
> download off the website), and told it to skip installing py2app. I
> then
> used easy_setup to install py2app==dev, which this time took care
> of all
> the dependencies, though I think it didn't take those from dev. Did
> "python setup.py py2app" to the example, copied the result out of
> dist/
> to ~/Library/PreferencePanes, clicked on it and it died with:
>
> ===== Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:45:39 AM US/Pacific =====
> 2007-03-01 02:45:41.627 System Preferences[1880] [NSPrefPaneBundle
> instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/Users/steve/Library/PreferencePanes/Shell
> Environment.prefPane): principalClass is nil.
>
> If you have any further ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

"No lesson seems to be so deeply inculcated by experience of life as
that you should never trust experts.  If you believe doctors, nothing
is wholesome; if you believe theologians, nothing is innocent; if you
believe soldiers, nothing is safe."

         --Lord Salisbury, 19th century British prime minister