has wrote:

> As a long-term strategy for Python as a whole, sure. The above
> suggestion was for Kevin as a solution to his own more immediate needs.

Well, my commercial Python application isn't going to break tomorrow if
I don't remove the Carbon bits, but it seems the long-term tides are
running even more strongly against Carbon than I realized:

--The removal of Carbon from the standard library in Python 3. I only
depend on a little bit of this--the Carbon Help API's--but having that
removed will require some adjustment.
-- Someone has announced plans to port Tkinter, the GUI toolkit I use,
to run on top of Cocoa--but this will probably break a *lot* of
Carbon-dependent Tk libraries that I and other developers use. (See
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Tcl-Tk-on-the-iPhone-p16190616.html.)
--From a karma standpoint, Adobe has just announced that a Cocoa port of
Photoshop is underway. (See
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html. )

I've kind of halted work on new versions of my program for the time
being to improve my facility with ObjC--because, at a minimum, I may
have to write the kinds of wrappers that has suggested, for Python and
most likely Tcl as well.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin