Thomas Philips wrote:

Item 1. I downloaded and installed 2.5.2 from python.org. Runs fine, it
installed a MacPython directory under applications, which has a few icons,
including IDLE. However, I have absolutely NO idea where all the Python
files are kept.

/Library/Frameworks/Python

Question 1: How can I locate the Python installation? There a few files
under Applications > MacPython 2.5, but this is clearly not the entire
installation.

Those are just the GUI bits, see above.

Question 2: In Finder, If I click on Search For > Past week, I can see a
sequence of folders under the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the
window, allowing me to determine that some files that were placed under
Applications > MacPython 2.5> Extra> Demo. But I do not seem to be able to
see the sequence of folders under the horizontal scroll bar in any finder
window. What do I need to do to make the folder sequence visible in all
Finder Windows?

Finder doesn't work that way--not sure what to tell you.

Item 2. I downloaded and installed the SciPy superpack from
Macinscience,org. Scipy seems to import correctly into the Python 2.5.1 that
comes with the Mac, but i cannot import it into MacPython 2.5.2.

Looks like it works with the System Python, not the one you installed?

Question 3. What do I have to do in order to make SciPy work with both
Python 2.5.1 (that comes with the Mac) and 2.5.2 (that I installed myself)?

You can't. They have different library paths.

Item 3. I accidentally clicked on something (not sure what) and suddenly
found the path to the numpy folder was Macintosh HD > Developer > SDKs >
MacOSX10.5.sdk>System>
Library>Frameworks>Python.framework>Versions>2.5>extras>lib>Python>numpy.
This is insane!!! Where would the superpack have installed SciPy, and how
can I find it?

Ask the Macsinscience developers.

Question 4. How do I get MacPython 2.5.2 to see SciPy, NumPy etc.
Question 5. How can I find the current value of the PYTHONPATH environment
variable, and how can I edit it and add a directory in which I keep my
Python programs.

Not sure. Pythonpath is more used on Unix, not on OS X.
Question 6. Apparently there's a Property List Editor that must be used to
create a file called ~ /.MacOSX/environment.plist. I can't find a directory
called ~/.MacOSX. Is this a hidden directory?

Yes.

Item 4. I opened a terminal window, and typed ipython. Here's what I got:

Welcome to IPython. I will try to create a personal configuration directory
where you can customize many aspects of IPython's functionality in:

/Users/tom/.ipython
WARNING:
Installation error. IPython's directory was not found.

Check the following:

The ipython/IPython directory should be in a directory belonging to your
PYTHONPATH environment variable (that is, it should be in a directory
belonging to sys.path). You can copy it explicitly there or just link to it.

IPython will create a minimal default configuration for you.
Ipython actually runs once I hit enter, but I do not seem to be able to
import and run my programs.

Question 7. What is this cryptic message all about? I'm completely confused.

Not sure. Looks like ipython doesn't see Python?

I never thought I'd say this, but it actually seemed a lot easier to get
Python and any associated programs up and running on Windows! I suspect that
a large fraction of my troubles are due to the fact that I am brand new to
the Mac and to Unix, but I bought the Mac in part because I thought that
using it was effortless.

It isn't the same as Windows and other Unixes, so it's not surprising that you're having some difficulty adjusting to the platform-specific quirks.Once you work through them, things should be smooth.

Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin