I'm having a bit of a problem with a Python script I'm running.  It sits
in a loop and periodically asks "System Events" what's going on, via
appscript.  The use of appscript turns it into a "foreground process",
in the terminology used in
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Articles/BootProcess.html.

This means that when I try to logout, or reboot, the loginwindow sends
it a kAEQuitApplication event, but it never replies, which means that
after 45 seconds loginwindow automatically aborts the logout or
shutdown.  So, I either need to take that darn rocket out of the Dock
(which I'd like to be able to do), or somehow catch and handle
kAEQuitApplication events.

Any advice?

Bill