On 2009-10-19 15:59 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

On 19 Oct, 2009, at 22:47, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:

Is there any way of convincing setuptools to *not* build for PPC? For
some reason, it tries to build a universal binary by default:

g++ -arch i386 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk ...etc

Which results in errors:

ld warning: in
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.3.0/lib/libz.dylib,

file is not of required architecture
ld: in
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/4.3.0/lib/libz.1.dylib,

file is not of required architecture for architecture ppc

I have no interest in building universals -- how can I switch this
off? I already tried putting "-arch i386" in my LDFLAGS, but to no
avail.

Edit /Library/Frameworks/.../lib/python2.5/config/Makefile to remove the occurrences of "-arch ppc" if you never want to build PPC versions of stuff again. More recent versions of EPD should have that done already.

Add ['-arch', 'i386'] to both extra_compile_args and extra_link args of
the Extension objects.

Will that get rid of the pre-existing "-arch ppc" flags?

BTW. The path's in the error-messages above are fishy, there shouldn't
be a '4.3.0' version in Python.framework.

I presume he's using the Enthought Python Distribution (disclosure: I work for Enthought), which does have such a version number. It's basically a not-entirely-palatable hack to make sure that users can install and uninstall EPD in order to try it out without breaking their previously installed Pythons.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco