Chris Weisiger wrote:
Just another update on my travails with making an app build with py2app. Since my previous posts haven't attracted much attention, I'm primarily posting this on the off-chance that someone else is having similar issues and might be helped. However, please do speak up if you have something to contribute! I'm starting to get a wee bit frustrated.

This can be frustrating -- it's tricky stuff, and there are apparently only a few of us trying to do it.

However, Ronald Oussoren has recently been giving py2app some much-needed love. He hasn't responded yet, so he may be busy or on vacton, or?? but he did specifically ask us all to let this list know when bugs were found.

To build with a nonstandard Python install (necessary to get py2app to include the Python interpreter in the build),

What is a "non-standard" install? you are right that it's won't include python if you use the Apple-supplied Python, but it should work with the build from python.org -- are you using something else? If so, why?

I have to "create" a main-i386 app template. This is done by going into py2app-0.5.2-py2.5.egg/py2app/apptemplate/prebuilt and doing "ln -sf main-fat3 main-i386"

This shouldn't be necessary, so something is up. py2app should "just work" with the exception of having to explicitly specify modules and packages sometimes (and data files...).

First, key any any ability to help:

What version of OS-X? what processor, exactly what version/build of Python, and what version of py2app?

Second -- have you tried to do the very simplest thing first, with your set-up -- a simple hello world app? then you can add in modules that you may have problems with one at a time.

This will allow py2app to build the app. However, it won't run, because I have a dependency on a .so file which isn't in the default search paths that py2app sets up.

Chris Weisiger wrote:
(creatively named "processor.app") that errors out on running with this error:

ImportError: '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/Crypto/Hash/SHA256.so' not found

SHA256.so does exist, in ./dist/processor.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/Crypto/Hash/SHA256.so

However, that is a *.so that is part of Apple's Python ('cause it's in "System") -- so you don't seem to be completely clean of the Apple python. That file does exist in my python.org install, so py2app should be able to do the right thing with it.

If you post a simple-as-possilbe-but-still-shos-the-problem example if an ap pthat uses SHA, maybe on of us can test it for you.

For example, I've enclosed the simplest test of sha256 I could think of, along with a setup.py to build it. It works fine on my 10.5 PPC system with the python.org python2.6 (you need to open up the console to see the output when it runs)

Does this work for you?

Note that is puts _sha265.so in:

hashlib_test.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload

Maybe not much help, but you know you aren't alone...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov