In article <30087228.p...@talk.nabble.com>,
 brinsknaps <brian.ngu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really appreciate the reply! I finally made some progress after daunting
> attempts to get msyql up and running from macports. Ultimately it had to do
> with some permission issues.
>
> Anyway, I can feel a tad bit closer, but am still running into a roadblock:
>
> $~/ python
> Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Oct 27 2010, 13:07:13)
> [GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)] on darwin
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site
> -packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py:34:
> DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
>   from sets import ImmutableSet

Fortunately, that warning can be ignored; it should have no impact on
anything.  It is an indication, however, that the MySQLdb version in
MacPorts has not been updated yet from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3, which was
released earlier this year and, among other changes, removes the source
of that warning.  Unless you find some other reason that you need to
update to 1.2.3, I'd advise just living with the warning until the
MacPorts port is updated and you feel like updating everything:

  $ sudo port selfupdate
  $ sudo port upgrade outdated

> Moreover, once I try the syncdb command in django, I get:
>
> $~/Sandbox/mysite/ ./manage.py syncdb
[...]
> "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/sit
> e-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py",
> line 170, in __init__
>     super(Connection, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs2)
> _mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1045, "Access denied for user
> 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)")

Most likely you don't have the correct values in your Django project's
settings.py file for one or more of the DATABASE_ variables.  First,
make sure your MySQL server is up and running and that you can connect
to it using one of the standard MySQL command line programs like
mysqladmin5 using a valid MySQL user name and password.  Then edit
settings.py appropriately.

--
 Ned Deily,
 n...@acm.org