py2app experts,

I have a script that is packaged using and py2app that does a
pre-check to see if a command line utility is installed, using Popen
and "which name". (The script downloads and installs it if not.)

I pass subprocess.PIPE for stdout and stderr, with shell=True.

When I run the script "raw" from the terminal it always prints,
correctly, with the path to the desired utility, i.e.
('/usr/local/bin/name', '')

When I run the program after compiling with py2app, exactly as
documented on the website, the console always gets ('', '') as the
response, which is incorrect as it's definitely installed ... nor was
an error reported.

I even tried re-writing the Popen command as "/usr/bin/which name" to no avail.

Using 10.6.5, py2app 0.5.2.

Could this be a problem with py2app, or is there something about the
run-time environment I've overlooked?

Would also be interested if there is a better way of checking to see
if a command line utility is currently located in the path for the
current user's system.

(Just a hobbyist here, go easy on me!)

-Adam