From: has <hengist.p...@virgin.net>
To: pythonmac-sig@python.org
Subject: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] appscript: Newbie trying to script using System
Events
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:27:43 +0000

dgodon wrote:

 > Can anyone share some good examples of scripting System Events?  For
 > instance, to select sub-menu options of an app, or to open/close app
 > windows, or dock panels in Photoshop.

GUI Scripting's a last resort where applications don't provide a
suitable scripting interface of their own. It's brittle and fiddly, and
finding your way around the structure of and application's is a chore.
Best (paid) solution would be to use UI Browser
(http://pfiddlesoft.com/uibrowser/) to generate AppleScript commands and
convert them to Python via ASTranslate. Or you could use appscript's
interactive help system to browse objects in SE; see the appscript
manual for more info.

HTH

has