On 4/7/11 3:37 PM, Ned Deily wrote:

The Python 2.7.1 installer welcome file, the text that is shown in the
first installer screen, says this:

"This package will by default update your shell profile to ensure that
this version of Python is on the search path of your shell. Please
deselect the "Shell profile updater" package on the package
customization screen if you want to avoid this modification.
Double-click Update Shell Profile at any time to make 2.7.1 the default
Python."

(Earlier installers had slightly different wordings.)

The command that does this is in /Applications/Python m.n/Update Shell
Profile.command.  Normally, it should have saved your .bash_profile as
~/.bash_profile.pysave, but, even if it didn't, the only modification it
makes to your original .bash_profile is to append these (or similar)
lines to the end of the file:

# Setting PATH for Python 2.7
# The original version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave
PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

And a note: before the installer did that, we had a LOT of newbies installing python and then having no idea how to get it to run.

I'm a bit confused, Bill. You're just that kind of guy that shouldn't have any problem hacking your .bash_profile! i.e. you are not the target audience for the installer.

Also: I'm pretty sure it's Apple's fault that a de-installer is not a easy and obvious part of a .mpg bundle. I don't think I've ever seen one with a uninstaller, as a matter of fact.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov