On 6 Jun, 2011, at 9:56, Jeffrey O'Neill wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
> The setup file looks fine.  What you could try is to build using '--no-strip'
> and then use 'gdb ./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV'.  With some luck
> this gives a hint on what causes the crash.
>
> Are you by any change importing GUI code in a secondary thread? I've seen
> crashes in __CFInitialize before when Apple's frameworks get loaded on any
> thread that isn't the main thread.
>
> Hi Ronald,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not importing GUI code in a thread (and
> threads are not used in launching the app either) so that is not causing the
> problem.

I could have known that, the crashdump mentioned that the crash occurs in the
main thread...

> I tried gdb with no-strip and the output is below.  It doesn't help me any.
> :(  GDB says it is x86_64-apple-darwin while my app is 32 bit but I don't
> know if that matters.

That's not a problem, you're running GDB on a machine that can run 64-bit code.

> Jeff
>
> ==== gdb output ====
>
> $ gdb ./dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
> This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared
> libraries .. done
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program:
> /Users/joneill/OpenSTV/OpenSTV/dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV
> Reading symbols for shared libraries +. done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries ...... done
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
> Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000000
> 0x953caedb in objc_msgSend ()
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x953caedb in objc_msgSend ()
> #1  0x00103bc0 in ?? ()
> #2  0x9387f8ee in cacheBundleInfo ()
> #3  0x9387f82d in _CFAppVersionCheckLessThan ()
> #4  0x93879704 in __CFInitialize ()
> #5  0x8fe0ee40 in
> __dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO11doImageInitERKN11ImageLoader11LinkContextE ()
> #6  0x8fe0ee74 in
> __dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO16doInitializationERKN11ImageLoader11LinkContextE
> ()
> #7  0x8fe0d31e in
> __dyld__ZN11ImageLoader23recursiveInitializationERKNS_11LinkContextEj ()
> #8  0x8fe0d3d1 in
> __dyld__ZN11ImageLoader15runInitializersERKNS_11LinkContextE ()
> #9  0x8fe0200b in __dyld__ZN4dyld15runInitializersEP11ImageLoader ()
> #10 0x8fe0b299 in __dyld_dlopen ()
> #11 0x94128848 in dlopen ()
> #12 0x00005a9f in main ()

That's not very helpful, and it turns out that's because the exutable that I
ship with py2app doesn't have debug symbols.

Another option to get more information, could you run:

$ DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 /dist/OpenSTV.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenSTV

This will print the libraries that get loaded, and might provide insight in
what's going on.

Also: what GUI libraries do you use? Can you reproduce the issue in a smaller
program that you can share?  The latter would allow me to debug the issue on my
machine.

Ronald