In article <bd2a3e7e-aaad-42b9-a310-0b981498f...@mac.com>,
 Ronald Oussoren <ronaldousso...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 22 Jul, 2011, at 6:10, Aahz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011, Ned Deily wrote:
> >>
> >> Although it's not practical to build packages with C extension modules
> >> on 10.7 for the traditional 32-bit-only python.org Pythons (as explained
> >> above), it is possible to build such packages with the same Python
> >> installed on a 10.6, 10.5, or even 10.4 system, create a Distutils bdist
> >> or setuptools/Distribute bdist-egg and then install the binary
> >> distribution on the 10.7 system.  I would avoid going down that path if
> >> possible, unless it is needed as a temporary transition phase.
> >
> > Why?  Isn't that the only way to get a multi-platform build?
>
> It is the only way to get a build that works with PPC systems, with some care
> you can binaries on 10.7 that work just fine earlier releases.
>
> To create binaries that work on 10.5 (or even 10.4) you'll need a new
> python install though, the Intel-only installer on python.org only supports
> 10.6 or later due to the Tkinter dependency.
>
> The hardest  part w.r.t. binaries that run on earlier versions is that C
> software
> that uses a configure script might detect features on your build system
> that aren't available on earlier releases.
>
> Ronald

Rob Manegan suggested another approach that I am considering: install
the older SDKs on XCode 4.1.

I found a link that provides clear instructions:
<http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110318050811544>

Personally I'm happy to ditch PPC and MacOS X 10.4, but I'm not in a
position to abandon MacOS X 10.5 users yet. However, from what you said
it sounds as if the only way to build extensions with the 32-bit
python.org python is to install the 10.4/ppc support.

So I think my options (since I need to distribute an app that can run on
10.5 and later) are:
- Install 10.4 support in XCode 4.1, as above. The main annoyance with
this is the need to stay at gcc 4.0.
- Build extensions on 10.6 or earlier. This is not a big deal because
keep an old laptop around for this purpose due to unresolved backward
compatibility issues building matplotlib and PIL binaries on 10.6.
- Switch to ActiveState Python (since they offer a 10.5-and-later python
and python.org sadly does not) or build my own. This involves a bit of
licensing headache as I have to renew a free license every year.

It sounds like any of these will work, but I'm looking forward to being
able to ditch 10.5 support.

-- Russell