I played around with it, and must say it works really well in my case. I installed the Cocoa wxPython 2.9.2, and after making a few changes to my code, namely not using Close() on dialogs but rather EndModal() and not using icon sizes above 128 (seemingly a wx Cocoa 64-bit bug, the 32-bit and Carbon build of wx 2.9.2 that I also tried didn't complain), my application ran just fine. I was also instantly able to build an app bundle with py2app from the repository.
All in all a quite pleasant experience.

Thanks for the info!