It's not clear if you're using proper indentation here. I recommend
putting your code on a paste site (e.g. http://pastebin.com/ ) so we
can see the whitespace properly. Here's a more complete version of
your example, which does work once a line after the elif is added:

http://pastebin.com/4L2wfKdr

It's not clear to me here; were you just typing this code directly
into the Python interpreter (e.g. by running "python" on the command
line)? If so, I think I know what happened: your elif statement had
the same level of indentation as the "print" statement. That means
that you had an elif statement without a preceding if statement, which
is indeed a syntax error. You need to back the elif statement out to
the same level of indentation as the if statement.

Hope this helps.

-Chris