Ok, so this is a real problem:-(

Again, I’m not deep enough into the SSL stuff to really understand this (and
specifically whether it needs a new openssl module, a new libssl, both,
something else, ….), but I’d like to think of ways to fix this before the shit
hits the fan for all poor mac Python users out there, if possible. And that
includes people who aren’t even aware they’re macPython users because they use
some app that uses Python under the hood…..

So a couple of questions:

1. Is this fixable by Apple, by providing a security update to various OSX
versions that would include a newer python/libssl/whatever?
1a. Would this still fall under Apple’s idea of “security update”?
1b. Do we have any chance of making Apple interested in fixing this?

2. Is this fixable with an installer that would somehow override the openssl
module, so that installing this one thing would make the whole Apple-Python
installation work again?

3. Failing that, I assume its the end of the line for Apple-Python, and we’ll
have to steer end users towards installing a python.org version. Right?
3a. If that’s the case, is there something we could ask of the pip developers,
the PyPi maintainers, whoever else to help the poor end users? I.e. get them to
release a version that would not say “ssl v1 invalid foobar get lost” but in
stead “you appear to be using Apple Python which does not support current
security measures, please see www.example.com for more information”.

Actually, question 3a to some extent also is 2a.

Regards,
Jack

--
Jack Jansen, <jack.jan...@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack