On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Merlijn van Deen <valhall...@arctus.nl>wrote:

> Hi Chad,
>
> As we discussed on IRC, my suggestion is the following:
>
> On 5 June 2013 16:49, Chad Horohoe <choro...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Everyone seems to be ok with doing this sooner rather than later, so
> > how about we pencil in the date of June 14th (next Friday)? That
> > gives us enough time to figure out the parts we don't know as well as
> > get notifications out to the relevant places.
>
> Let's get the conversion working, but without allowing patches in Gerrit.
> This allows us to do the migration in a somewhat slower pace, updating
> e.g. the nightly generation and making it easier to check if the conversion
> works as expected. This also makes it easier to get feedback on the
> conversion,
> hopefully.

As a timeline, I would suggest to have continuous updates from svn to
> git, roughly weekly updates
> to the conversion code and a transition period of maybe 6 weeks,
> starting next friday? I think it
> is realistic as a time frame to update most things that depend on svn.

This sounds reasonable to me.

> Things I think we need to
> > 1) Exact repo structure. I think we've gotten a good discussion started
> > on the wiki, but I'd like to see more input (and please, feel free to
> edit
> > it mercilessly, this was all written based on my naïve understanding of
> > how you guys work)
>
> I have added a new proposed structure on the wiki. Basically, I'd like
> to formally
> separate trunk and rewrite, and to rename them to something like 'compat'
> and
> 'core'. After discussing it with you and translatewiki people, I think
> having i18n as
> submodule is the easiest option.

This also looks good.

> > 3) What to do with submodules. A concise list of all the current
> externals
> > will make this easier.
>
> I think we should not have the same method with external libraries
> svn:external'ed in. I'd be more interested in including a pip-style
> requirements.txt, with an optional 'external libraries' zip package.

Up to you guys. Depending on the size of the dependency and ease
of packaging, some things can just be copy+pasted in (with licenses!)
as needed.

I think we're all in agreement on 2013 committers as being the initial
group to have +2. I've updated the wiki to reflect this.

-Chad