So on compat:

$ git tag -a v0.0.0 -m 'Initial version' b94c23e
$ git describe
v0.0.0-10213-g553235e

So I have revision 10213 installed currently. If wished for I can
change the implementation to one using 'git describe' instead of 'git
rev-list HEAD | wc -l'... any oppinions?

May be we should call 'compat' the version v1.0.0 and 'core' the
version v2.0.0.

Greetings
DrTrigon