> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM, <i...@gno.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Amir,
> >
> > I am against this breaking change and I do not see the advantage for
> that.
>
> The big advantage is after using this version there is no need to download
> and install more after downloading PWB compat and this is really helpful
> for people who are using servers in order to run bots (because they doesn't
> have admin rights to install beautifulsoup) and more than 100 projects are
> using this way so why not us?

I agree with having BeautifulSoup as part of the framework (which was it til
few months ago). It is a main part of the compat branch and no script will run
without it. As suggested (see below) I would prefer the alternate bs3 i.e.
BeautifulSoup.py eighter in topmost folder (as it was previously) or in the
external folder. I do not see any advantage for bs4 and your renaming.

> > I guess we will never have a compat release for python 3+.
>
> This is in my TODO list but not a big priority because nobody like python 3

I do not dislike py3+ but I do not like a lot of pywikbot branches because it
is hard to work to keep them on the same level. core branch was started 6 years
ago and it needs this time to be accepted by more and more bot owners. If we
try to merge to py3+ we should do it with core imho

> > Therefore we could have the BeautifulSoup.py in the topmost folder (as we
> > had before some patching changes) or in the externals folder (as we have
> it
> > while downloaded by its first use whicht is made by
> externals.__init__.py).
> >
> > We just need to set an amend for it, not a big deal. I'll do very soon

Be aware there could be other scripts from bot owners using beautifulsoup
directliy and not via pywikibot/wikipedia module.

Greetings
xqt