On Tue, 2023-11-07 at 15:20 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 07. 11. 23 12:17, Sandro Mani wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Due to an unfortunate oversight of an incorrect branch merge a couple of
> > months
> > ago, a recently backported security fix caused an unwanted gdal soname bump
> > in
> > F37, due to an update from the 3.5.x series to the 3.6.x series.
> >
> > I'm preparing a gdal-3.6.2-8.really3.5.3.fc37 to address this, please don't
> > rebuild any dependencies in the meantime, as the new package will bring
> > back
> > the previous soname.
> >
> > Apologies for the troubles.
>
> Hello,
>
> this is not the first time I saw a bodhi update that breaks dozens of
> dependencies, goes unnoticed for a week and is automatically pushed stable,
> only to discover many packages fail to install.
>
> How come we don't have an automatic check for this? What can be done?

This task (which we tend to call "reverse dependency checking") is
actually one of the more difficult things to implement reliably, and
has been ever since the AutoQA / taskotron days.

Fedora CI does have the rpmdeplint test, which I believe attempts to do
this:
https://pagure.io/rpmdeplint/blob/master/f/rpmdeplint/__init__.py#_227
but it seems to only run that test on Rawhide:
https://github.com/fedora-ci/rpmdeplint-trigger/blob/master/Jenkinsfile#L30
I am honestly not sure why. Additionally, Fedora CI triggering always
(AIUI) runs tests in the context of a *package* not an *update*, which
means it will produce quite a few 'false failures' in the case where
the rebuilt dependencies are in fact bundled in an update with the
bumped library. Additionally, rpmdeplint often 'false fails' for other
reasons (commonly internal package conflicts which aren't really a big
problem), and so it cannot be set as a gating test at present even on
Rawhide.

openQA will catch cases like this only when the update is a critical
path one (so openQA actually tests it) and the broken dependency is in
a package that's within the scope of one of openQA's tests.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA