Brad Koeppel wrote:
I am interested in becoming a qa volunteer. How do I get started?

Welcome Brad, John and all the others who joined the OpenOffice QA team today!

All new volunteers should subscribe to the QA mailing list or they will miss announcements: just send an empty e-mail message to qa-subscr...@openoffice.apache.org and respond to the confirmation request you will receive. Do it now, since all QA activities will be coordinated on this list: when we plan extensive pre-release testing, we will post announcements and requests for help here.

Also make sure you have read
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/orientation/intro-qa.html