Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> [...]
[knmc]
As we move forward to a general distribution here  is an odt revision of
the readme that can be used to generate an html, pdf, or text versions.
All versions are attached but may not come through to the list. They can
all be accessed from the following link.
<https://1drv.ms/f/s!AMMYmStvrJNJgQQ>
All feedback is both welcomed and encouraged.

regards
Keith

Title: Readme

APPLYING HOTFIX FOR APACHE OPENOFFICE ON WINDOWS

README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt 1.0.0 2016-08-07

Notice

Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more contributor license agreements. The ASF licenses this file to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"). You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Purpose

The purpose of this document is to describe how to apply the hotfix to eliminate a security vulnerability identified as CVE-2016-1513. The latest details about that vulnerability and its mitigation can be found on the web at <http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2016-1513.html>.

The hotfix is provided as a zip file at the following location:<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>

Intended Audience

This document is primarily intended for use by non-technical individuals but presumes familiarity with the following;

  • Your account has administrator privileges or you have access to an adminstrator password

    NOTE: If your Operating System is Windows XP you must be logged into an account with administrator privileges.

  • Use of a web browser to download files from the internet

  • Use of the file manager to locate files and folders

  • Use of the file manager to select files

Prerequisites

  • Apache OpenOffice Version 4.1.2

  • Quickstarter must be off

Preliminary Instructions

  1. Verify installed version is 4.1.2

    1. Open Apache OpenOffice

  2. Download the zip file from <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>

    1. Use of the download folder for this procedure is fine

  3. Navigate to the above folder with the file manager

  4. Select the downloaded zip file

  5. Right click the zip file

  6. Select Extract All... from the context menu

    1. This will create a folder in the same folder you downloaded the archive with the contents of the archive un-packed in it

  7. Open the new folder from step 5 it should contain the following files

    1. README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt

      • This procedure

    2. LICENSE.txt

      • The Apache License Version 2.0 under which the .zip and its content are licensed.

    3. NOTICE.txt

      • A notice about the origin of the content.

    4. tl.dll.new

      • The patched tl.dll library file to be installed in the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 software.

    5. ti.dll.new.asc

      • A digital signature provided by the developer of tl.dll.new that can be used to verify the authenticity and origin of tl.dll.new using suitable software for that purpose.

    6. tl.dll.old

      • The original tl.dll library, without the patch, from the official Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 distribution. This file is included as a backup and for use, if needed, as part of reverting the patch.

    7. APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat

      • A batch script to install the new library into Apache OpenOffice

    8. REVERT-4.1.2-patch1.bat

      • A batch script to revert the patch if needed

Apply Patch Automatically

  1. Right click APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat

  2. Select Run as administrator from the context menu

    At this point you should see the standard Windows security screen asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to your system. If you receive a screen asking you to enter an administrator password your account does not have administrator privileges. If you know the password for the administrator account enter it and proceed to step 9. If you do not know the password click No and the procedure will exit with no changes made. At this point seek assistance from a more knowledgeable family member or friend and restart the procedure from this point.

  3. Click the yes button

    1. The batch file will execute in a separate window and install the patch

    2. when it completes you will see the following in the batch window
      THE PATCH HAS BEEN APPLIED SUCCESSFULLY
      To reverse the patch for any reason, use the procedure
      REVERT-4.1.2-patch1.bat as described in the
      README-4.1.2-patch1-Windows.txt file.

      Press any key to continue...

  4. Press any ket and the script will exit and close the window

  5. The patch has been successfully applied and Apache OpenOffice is up to date

Removing the Patch

If for any reason the patch needs to be removed it can be done automatically using the file 4.1.2-patch1-revert.bat.

  1. Navigate to the foder created in step 5a above

  2. Right click REVERT-4.1.2-patch1.bat

  3. Select Run as administrator from the context menu

    At this point you should see the standard Windows security screen asking if you want to allow the program to make changes to your system. If you receive a screen asking you to enter an administrator password your account does not have administrator privileges. If you know the password for the administrator account enter it and proceed to step 9. If you do not know the password click No and the procedure will exit with no changes made. At this point seek assistance from a more knowledgeable family member or friend and restart the procedure from this point.

  4. Click the yes button

    1. The batch file will execute in a separate window and revert the patch

    2. when it completes you will see the following in the batch window
      THE PATCH HAS BEEN REVERTED SUCCESSFULLY
      To reverse the patch for any reason, use the procedure
      APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat as described in the
      README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt file.

      Press any key to continue...

  5. Press any key and the script will exit and close the window

  6. The patch has been successfully reverted

Appendicies

Manually Apply Patch

Though it is highly recommended that the patch be applied via the automated script, it is possible to apply it manually as described below.

  • Prerequisites

    • access to administrator account or password

    • in depth knowledge of the following areas

      • where programs are installed on the system

      • navigating the file system

      • renaming files in operating system folders

      • copying files into operating system folders

    If you are uncomfortable with any of the above seek guidance from a more knowledgeable individual before attempting this procedure.

  • Procedure

    • download and unpack the zip file

    • navigate to the <installlocation>OpenOffice4\program

    • from the unpacked archive location copy tl.dll.new →

      <installlocation>OpenOffice4\program

    • rename tl.dll → tl.dll.old

    • navigate to the <installlocation>OpenOffice4\program

    • rename tl.dll.new → tl.dll

Troubleshooting

If there are any problems with known-good documents that you are concerned are related to having installed the patch follow the procedure below.

  1. Be sure the problem document is closed

  2. Revert the patch following the procedure Removing the Patch earlier in this document

  3. Open the problem document

  4. Is the problem still present?

    1. Yes

      1. The patch is not the source of the problem

      2. Reapply the patch following the procedure Apply Patch Automatically earlier

    2. No

APPLYING HOTFIX FOR APACHE OPENOFFICE ON WINDOWS
README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt   1.0.0   2016-08-07
Table of Contents
Notice  1
Purpose 1
Intended Audience       1
Prerequisites   2
Preliminary Instructions        2
Apply Patch Automatically       3
Removing the Patch      3
Appendicies     4
Manually Apply Patch    4
Troubleshooting 4

[...]
 a) Open Apache OpenOffice
 2. Download the zip file from
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.2-patch1/>
 a) Use of the download folder for this procedure is fine
 3. Navigate to the above folder with the file manager
 4. Select the downloaded zip file
 5. Right click the zip file
 6. Select Extract All... from the context menu
 a) This will create a folder in the same folder you downloaded the archive
with the contents of the archive un-packed in it
 7. Open the new folder from step 5 it should contain the following files
 a) README-4.1.2-patch1-apply-Windows.txt
This procedure
 b) LICENSE.txt
The Apache License Version 2.0 under which the .zip and its content are
licensed.
 c) NOTICE.txt
A notice about the origin of the content.
 d) tl.dll.new
The patched tl.dll library file to be installed in the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
software.
 e) ti.dll.new.asc
A digital signature provided by the developer of tl.dll.new that can be used to
verify the authenticity and origin of tl.dll.new using suitable software for
that purpose.
 f) tl.dll.old
The original tl.dll library, without the patch, from the official Apache
OpenOffice 4.1.2 distribution. This file is included as a backup and for use,
if needed, as part of reverting the patch.
 g) APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat
A batch script to install the new library into Apache OpenOffice
 h) REVERT-4.1.2-patch1.bat
A batch script to revert the patch if needed
Apply Patch Automatically
 7. Right click APPLY-4.1.2-patch1.bat
 8. Select Run as administrator from the context menu
At this point you should see the standard Windows security screen asking if you
want to allow the program to make changes to your system. If you receive a
screen asking you to enter an administrator password your account does not have
administrator privileges. If you know the password for the administrator
account enter it and proceed to step 9. If you do not know the password click
No and the procedure will exit with no changes made. At this point seek
assistance from a more knowledgeable family member or friend and restart the
procedure from this point.
 9. Click the yes button
 a) The batch file will execute in a separate window and install the patch
 b) when it completes you will see the following in the batch window
        THE PATCH HAS BEEN APPLIED SUCCESSFULLY
        To reverse the patch for any reason, use the procedure
      REVERT-4.1.2-patch1.bat as described in the
        README-4.1.2-patch1-Windows.txt file.
Press any key to continue...
 10. Press any ket and the script will exit and close the window
 11. The patch has been successfully applied and Apache OpenOffice is up to date
[...]
 a) The batch file will execute in a separate window and revert the patch
[...]
rename tl.dll → tl.dll.old
3. Report and discusse on themailing  public us...@openoffice.apache.org