On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> If someone had admin options, we should be able to export ALL cases as
>> XML. However, in order to use them, we'd need to create an XSLT file for
>> them, then go through converting THAT to something, as we do with the
>> Apache OpenOffice biz area.
>>

> A bulk export would still be convenient, so I hope we can get Adfinis to
> pay some attention (but I remember you tried to contact them already).
>
> I'm confused about the final usage. So you are not advocating that we
> simply keep using Testlink (and storing the tests somewhere "just in case",
> as a backup), but you foresee we would have to migrate them to some other
> system, correct?

​
My main goal was to  extract the manual test cases for AOO to continue to
use.

TestLink is a nice environment because it allows for manual testing by QA
folks with a  way to store testing  results, etc. Additionally, it provides
a way to setup the automatic testing, with results also stored there.
I have not read the complete user's guide on TestLink so I am no expert.

My preliminary investigation into how the AOO TestLink instrance  was
established led me to believe that one of the AOO PMC members was in
contact with Adfinis, who "donated" the platform  ( Ic ouldn't fidn any
specific information on this). I don't know who actually installed the
TestLink instance. I do know that some of the IBM QA team administered it
and  ported the manual test cases to it. QA participants were able to apply
for TestLink accounts and report results.

TestLink is useful. But, as others have expressed, setting up and using it
really should be on an ASF platform. And it requires an admin. I think we
could accomplish similar results by porting the manual test cases into BZ
-- probably in category blocks -- and pointing QA volunteers to these test
cases. This would allow for feedback, but the feedback would be in BZ.
​

> Licensing? Hmmm...since nearly all were written by the IBM crew, I just
>> figured we were OK on this aspect.
>>

> Yes, let's keep it out of the picture indeed. Just, it is cleaner under
> all points of view if we manage to get a proper export rather than scraping
> our own site. But if the aim is not to have another Testlink, then this
> "copy" step might be needed anyway.

​OK. My thoughts exactly.
​