On 2021-06-12 at 9:13, Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>cc'd qa@
>
>I think it would be good to rework the test framework to not require
>having just built the office.

I believe that you are right. I know for myself, I do not have the capacity to
be able to build on Windows and cannot run the automated tests.

>Currently, to compile and run the tests, there are dependencies on
>environment settings created and files built into main/solver/<version>.
>Mostly things like idlc, regmerge, and javamaker etc. and the UNO jar files.
>All these file dependencies are also available in either the office that
>would be under test or the SDK.
>
>I think it would be a benefit for QA and open the use and development of
>automated tests to testers and developers that don't also have a AOO
>build environment.

It would definitely be a help to QA. If a volunteer does not have the capacity
to build, the most they can do is to confirm that a particular bug exists with
their OS, and then verify that a build with a specific patch fixed the
problem. With the ability to run the automated tests, individual volunteers
could contribute more than just confirming and verifying particular bugs.

>For instance I can run the test suite against Linux where I have a build
>env but not on Windows where I don't.
>
>The one big thing about this would be it would require a tester to have
>the SDK installed in the office under test.
>I think this is a much lower bar than building the office to get them.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

I believe that it would be a very good idea

Regards
Keith