On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 5:09 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <phi...@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 8/16/21 11:55 PM, John Snow wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 3:12 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com
> > <mailto:kra...@redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 05:19:02PM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
> wrote:
> >     > +Mark
> >     >
> >     > On 8/4/21 4:27 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >     > > Some code shuffling needed beforehand due to floppy being part of
> >     > > several platforms.  While being at it also make floppy optional
> >     > > in pc machine type.
> >     >
> >     > >   floppy: move fdctrl_init_sysbus
> >     > >   floppy: move sun4m_fdctrl_init
> >     >
> >     > https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-block@nongnu.org/msg84008.html
> >     <https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-block@nongnu.org/msg84008.html>
> >     >
> >     > Mark suggested:
> >     >
> >     >   You may be able to simplify this further by removing the
> >     >   global legacy init functions fdctrl_init_sysbus() and
> >     >   sun4m_fdctrl_init(): from what I can see fdctrl_init_sysbus()
> >     >   is only used in hw/mips/jazz.c and sun4m_fdctrl_init() is only
> >     >   used in hw/sparc/sun4m.c so you might as well inline them or
> >     >   move the functions to the relevant files.
> >     >
> >     > I did it and plan to send during 6.2. Sounds simpler than module.
> >     > You could easily rebase your series on top (or I can include your
> >     > patches while sending).
> >
> >     Feel free to include them.  But I can also rebase when your patches
> >     landed upstream.  Your choice ;)
> >
> > What's the plan here, what are we trying to solve with this series
> > *exactly*?
> > If Phil sends his cleanups, do we still want/need the modularization
> here?
>
> Both series are orthogonal, but if my cleanups get merged first, there
> is less floppy code to modularize.
>
> > For now I'm gonna shuffle these off of my review queue and I assume I'll
> > see a respin/rebase from either you or phil during the 6.2 window, let
> > me know if this is wrong.
>
> This is OK. Probably easier for everybody if I can rebase/include Gerd's
> patches along. I'm still not convinced FDC modularization is the right
> way to go; but the PC machine is one of machines I know the less, and
> has inherited a lot of odd things, so I need to carefully audit few more
> things.
>
> I'd rather have faithful chipsets modelled. Long term I don't think
> FDC are going away from QEMU, as they are used by happy hobbyist running
> old DOS programs from the 80's. But being able to build QEMU without
> FDC would be nice indeed.

OK, Understood -- And you're right, upstream the FDC needs a bit of work
and love, because they are used and important. I just ... as you can tell,
don't have much time to give them that love myself.

*cough* *cough* *nudge* *wink*

I'll be sending a patch when 6.2 opens indicating my desire to step down
from the device.

--js