On Fri, Mar 18, 2022, 9:36 AM Hanna Reitz <hre...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 18.03.22 00:49, John Snow wrote:
> > Hiya!
> >
> > This series effectively replaces qemu_img_pipe_and_status() with a
> > rewritten function named qemu_img() that raises an exception on non-zero
> > return code by default. By the end of the series, every last invocation
> > of the qemu-img binary ultimately goes through qemu_img().
> >
> > The exception that this function raises includes stdout/stderr output
> > when the traceback is printed in a a little decorated text box so that
> > it stands out from the jargony Python traceback readout.
> >
> > (You can test what this looks like for yourself, or at least you could,
> > by disabling ztsd support and then running qcow2 iotest 065.)
> >
> > Negative tests are still possible in two ways:
> >
> > - Passing check=False to qemu_img, qemu_img_log, or img_info_log
> > - Catching and handling the CalledProcessError exception at the callsite.
>
> Thanks!  Applied to my block branch:
>
> https://gitlab.com/hreitz/qemu/-/commits/block
>
> Hanna

Thanks so much!

I have more works-in-progress, but I want to be kind to your time. (And
tolerance level for Python.)

Important:

- 4 patches that switch to async qmp permanently. Almost no code, it's just
a policy thing, but it could affect iotests. Not for this freeze now, but
it'd help me a lot if you could take the time to ack it next week so I can
stage them and push forward with splitting the qmp library out of the tree.
I need to rebase and resend, which I'll do in just a bit.

Not urgent:

- Another 15ish patches for unifying qemu-io calls like i did for qemu-img
here. Stalled somewhat because I couldn't convincingly unify the qemu_io
calls that keep the pipe open, so I will probably just leave those calls
alone for now, unless I get a New Idea. Should I send them to the list and
you'll get to them whenever you get to them, or would you prefer I wait a
while?

- Another 15ish patches that split the "skip files" list for pylint/mypy
into separate skip-lists per tool and then drastically reduces their size
such that only a handful of files remain in each skiplist. Same question
here: Should I send these to the list and someone'll get to it whenever
they do, or would you prefer I wait?

Thanks again.
--js