Salvador Fandino wrote:
I have run some tests and found that it's easy to cause a deadlock just
untaring a file over an nbd device being served from localhost (using
the standard nbd-server or my own, it doesn't matter).

Another interesting finding is that when the deadlock happens, qemu-nbds
is inside a read() call, waiting for new nbd requests to arrive over the
socket, and so, not trying to allocate memory or writing to disk.

If you use sysrq-t and a serial console, you will find exactly how it's waiting for memory.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.