On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 04:52:12PM +0100, Victor Toso wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2023 at 07:28:04AM -0800, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > On a partially related note: while I haven't yet looked closely at
> > how much effort you've dedicated to producing pretty output, from a
> > quick look at generate_struct_type() it seems that the answer is "not
> > zero". I think it would be fine to simplify things there and produce
> > ugly output, under the assumption that gofmt will be called on the
> > generated code immediately afterwards. The C generator doesn't have
> > this luxury, but we should take advantage of it.
>
> Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The idea of the generator producing
> a well formatted Go code came from previous review. I didn't want
> to introduce gofmt and friends to QEMU build system, perhaps it
> wasn't a big deal but I find it foreign to QEMU for a generated
> code that QEMU itself would not use.
>
> See: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2023-10/msg01188.html

Noted.

Whether or not requiring a pass through gofmt is an issue kind of
depends on how we end up shipping these files.

What seems the most probable to me is that we'll have a separate repo
where we dump the generated files and that Go users will consume via
a regular 'import'. Your existing qapi-go repo follows this model. In
this context, gofmt is never going to be called as part of the QEMU
build process so it doesn't really matter.

But maybe there was a discussion around this that I've missed :)