On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 13:20, "Daniel P. Berrangé" <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:
Your approach to the problem:

 if (!AUD_register_card("OMAP EAC", &s->codec.card, &error_fatal)) {
   exit(1);
 }

is adding dead-code because the exit(1) will never be reachable. So while
it lets you squelch the unused result warning, it is verbose and misleading
to anyone who sees it.

Perhaps a more viable option is to pull in gnulib's ignore_value macro

 #define ignore_value(x) \
   (__extension__ ({ __typeof__ (x) __x = (x); (void) __x; }))

and then we would have just this:

ignore_value(AUD_register_card("OMAP EAC", &s->codec.card, &error_fatal));

Good suggestion, thanks!

And to be fair, I did put a comment directly above that line to explain the unreachable code path. :)

+    /*
+ * We pass error_fatal so on error QEMU will exit(). But we check the + * return value to make the warn_unused_result compiler warning go away.
+     */