On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 at 15:53, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <phi...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately despite DeviceReset being deprecated since 4 years
> in commit c11256aa6f ("hw/core: add Resettable support to BusClass
> and DeviceClass"), we keep adding code using this legacy API; for
> example in the last 4 months:
>
> - e029bb00a7 ("hw/pci-host: Add Astro system bus adapter found on
> PA-RISC machines")
> - 2880e676c0 ("Add virtio-sound device stub")
> - 4a58330343 ("hw/cxl: Add a switch mailbox CCI function")
> - 95e1019a4a ("vhost-user-scsi: free the inflight area when reset")
> - 6f9c3aaa34 ("fsl-imx: add simple RTC emulation for i.MX6 and i.MX7
> boards")

For plain old leaf device reset methods, I'm not too fussed
about this, because a reset method is exactly equivalent
to a single 'hold' phase method, and the relatively
small amount of code to convert from one to the other isn't
introducing a lot of extra complication.

The cleanup I really want to get back to is the bus reset
handling, because we only have a few buses that don't use
3-phase reset, and if we convert those then we can get rid
of the handling of transitional reset from BusClass
completely. Unfortunately I ran into a regression somewhere
in the PCI reset handling in the patchsets I was working on
which I never got back to to track down the problem.

thanks
-- PMM