Peter Xu <pet...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 01:41:01AM +0000, Liu, Yuan1 wrote:
>> Because this change has an impact on the previous live migration
>> With IAA Patch, does the submission of the next version needs
>> to be submitted based on this change?
>
> I'd say hold off a little while until we're more certain on the planned
> interface changes, to avoid you rebase your code back and forth; unless
> you're pretty confident that this will be the right approach.
>
> I apologize on not having looked at any of the QAT/IAA compression / zero
> detection series posted on the list; I do plan to read them very soon too
> after Fabiano.  So I may not have a complete full picture here yet, please
> bare with me.
>
> If this series is trying to provide a base ground for all the efforts,
> it'll be great if we can thoroughly discuss here and settle an approach
> soon that will satisfy everyone.

Just a summary if it helps:

For compression work (IAA/QPL, QAT) the discussion is around having a
new "compression acceleration" option that enables the accelerators and
is complementary to the existing zlib compression method. We'd choose
those automatically based on availability and we'd make HW accelerated
compression produce a stream that is compatible with QEMU's zlib stream
so we could migrate between solutions.

For zero page work and zero page acceleration (DSA), the question is how
to fit zero page detection into multifd and whether we need a new hook
multifd_ops->zero_page_detect() (or similar) to allow client code to
provide it's own zero page detection methods. My worry here is that
teaching multifd to recognize zero pages is one more coupling to the
"pages" data type. Ideallly we'd find a way to include that operation as
a prepare() responsibility and the client code would deal with it.