On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 at 06:35, Zhang Wen <zhw2101...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm building my own system following the Linux From Scratch package, which is
> at
> https://www.linuxfromscratch.org.
> I accidently built libxkbcommon package but not xkeyboard-config
> package, and then
> while building qemu I saw this problem.

I found this interesting commit in FreeBSD:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=490981
"Add a run time dependency on x11/xkeyboard-config in x11/libxkbcommon.

 While not strictly necessary, this is recommended upstream, since almost all
 uses of libxkbcommon also needs xkeyboard-config.  This is similar to how it
 is done in other distributions.

 This solves issues when graphics/xpdf4 is installed without a desktop or
 graphical environment, as well as other places."

That suggests that the intention of X11 upstream is that if
a distro provides libxkbcommon then it should also provide
xkeyboard-config, and if the distro doesn't do that then various
things will not work correctly, not just QEMU.

Looking at the Linux From Scratch website I see that their
libxkbcommon page
https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/libxkbcommon.html
says:

# Required
# xkeyboard-config-2.41 (runtime)

So LFS agrees that xkeyboard-config is a required dependency.

My inclination is therefore to say that "libxkbcommon is present
but one of its required dependencies is missing" is not really
a situation we need to change QEMU to handle.

thanks
-- PMM