On Wed,  1 Nov 2023 06:16:06 -0700
Mattias Nissler <mniss...@rivosinc.com> wrote:

> This series adds basic support for message-based DMA in qemu's vfio-user
> server. This is useful for cases where the client does not provide file
> descriptors for accessing system memory via memory mappings. My motivating use
> case is to hook up device models as PCIe endpoints to a hardware design. This
> works by bridging the PCIe transaction layer to vfio-user, and the endpoint
> does not access memory directly, but sends memory requests TLPs to the
> hardware
> design in order to perform DMA.
>
> Note that more work is needed to make message-based DMA work well: qemu
> currently breaks down DMA accesses into chunks of size 8 bytes at maximum,
> each
> of which will be handled in a separate vfio-user DMA request message. This is
> quite terrible for large DMA accesses, such as when nvme reads and writes
> page-sized blocks for example. Thus, I would like to improve qemu to be able
> perform larger accesses, at least for indirect memory regions. I have
> something
> working locally, but since this will likely result in more involved surgery
> and
> discussion, I am leaving this to be addressed in a separate patch.

Hi Mattias,

I was wondering what the status of this patch set is - seems no outstanding
issues
have been raised?

I'd run into a similar problem with multiple DMA mappings using the bounce
buffer
when using the emulated CXL memory with virtio-blk-pci accessing it.

In that particular case virtio-blk is using the "memory" address space, but
otherwise your first 2 patches work for me as well so I'd definitely like
to see those get merged!

Thanks,

Jonathan