Hi,

Thank you for your email.

On Thursday, March 14, 2024 8:39:45 PM IST Eugenio Perez Martin wrote:
> Hi Sahil,
>
> It's being hard to find a good self-contained small task related to
> the project to be honest. As it would be out of SVQ, would it be ok
> for you if we start straight to the task of adding the packed vq
> format to SVQ?
>
> Thanks!

Sure, this works too! I would love to get started with the project.

I have a small update as well. I have read through a few docs and
articles to familiarize myself with the relevant terminology and
technicalities.

1. "About", "system emulation" and "user mode emulation" sections of
    the user documentation [1]
2. The migration subsystem [2]

Some sections in the above docs were difficult to grasp. For the time
being, I have focused on those parts that I thought were relevant
to the project.

I have also read through the following articles:

1. Introduction to virtio-networking and vhost-net [3]
2. Deep dive into Virtio-networking and vhost-net [4]
3. Virtualized Hardware Devices [5]
4. VFIO - "Virtual Function I/O" (Just the introduction) [6]
5. Virtio-net failover: An introduction [7]

I hope I haven't gone off on a tangent. I was planning to finish reading
up on the following articles as well:

1. Virtqueues and virtio ring: How the data travels [8]
2. Packed virtqueue: How to reduce overhead with virtio [9]
3. Virtio live migration technical deep dive [10]
4. Hands on vDPA: what do you do when you ain't got the hardware v2 (Part 1)
[11]

I believe the hands-on vPDA article will have me set up a development
environment for the project as well.

Please let me know if I should amend my roadmap. I am
excited to get started :)

Thanks,
Sahil

[1] https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/index.html