25.03.2024 20:23, Peter Maydell :
On Sat, 12 Aug 2023 at 13:10, Akihiko Odaki <akihiko.od...@daynix.com> wrote:
The problem is that Meson uses a different logic for escaping arguments
in MESONINTROSPECT on Windows. I'll wait till Meson maintainers figure
out how MESONINTROSPECT should be used. For details, see:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/12115#issuecomment-1675863266

Am I correct in understanding from
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/pull/12807
that the eventual resolution that Meson upstream decided was
to restore the behaviour that regardless of platform the right
way to split the file is shlex.split()?

If so, then I think we should resurrect and apply this patch,
since at the moment configuring QEMU fails if, for instance,
the build tree directory name has a '~' character in it.

Yes, meson upstream went for shlex.split() finally.
However this change is pretty recent (Feb-11) if applying, we have
to upgrade meson too, which is not a good idea at this stage during
RCs.

The whole issue is very minor though.  I think so far it only happened
on debian due to its usage of tilde (~) char in 9.0.0~rc0 (instead of
a minus sign), because in debian, a tilde has special meaning in version
string, it sorts before anything else, even before 9.0.0 in this case.

I don't think this issue is a problem in practice in any other context.
So for now, I'll apply this patch to qemu in debian to let the RCs
build, it wont be needed after actual release, and we can rethink
this for 9.1 or a later version.

Thanks,

/mjt