On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 1:58 PM Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2024 at 11:50, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ensure that they go through unmodified, instead of removing one layer
> > of quoting.
>
> Do you have an example of what goes wrong that we could
> mention in the commit message ?

I only found it by inspection. The only case I can think of is
"-Dpkg_config_path=/home/pbonzini/a path with spaces/".

I can add the following text:

---
-D is a pretty specialized option and most options that can have spaces
do not need it (for example, c_args is covered by --extra-cflags).
Therefore it's unlikely that this causes actual trouble.  However,
a somewhat realistic failure case would be with -Dpkg_config_path
and a pkg-config directory that contains spaces.
---

Paolo