Hi

On Wed, May 8, 2024 at 11:50 AM Stefano Garzarella <sgarz...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 11:20:50PM GMT, Roman Kiryanov wrote:
> >Hi Stefano,
> >
> >On Tue, May 7, 2024 at 1:10 AM Stefano Garzarella <sgarz...@redhat.com>
> >wrote:
> >> I have no experience with Windows, but what we need for vhost-user is:
> >>
> >> - AF_UNIX and be able to send file descriptors using ancillary data
> >>    (i.e. SCM_RIGHTS)
> >
> >As far as I understand, Windows does NOT support SCM_RIGHTS over AF_UNIX.
>
> Thank you for the information. This is unfortunate and does not allow
> us to use vhost-user as it is on Windows.

fwiw, Windows has other mechanisms to share resources between processes.

To share/pass sockets, you can use WSADuplicateSocket. For shared
memory and other resources, DuplicateHandle API.

(you can also share other things like D3D textures etc. those
mechanisms are used to enable -display dbus on Windows efficiently)

--
Marc-André Lureau