On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 06:15:48PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:03:27AM -0600, Peter Xu wrote:
> > On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 05:03:44PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > > Above all, I'm failing to see why there's a compelling reason
> > > for virtio_gpu to diverge from our long standing practice of
> > > adding a named property flag "virtio_scanout_vmstate_fix"
> > > on the machine class, and then setting it in machine types
> > > which need it.
> >
> > The reason to introduce that is definitely avoid introducing fields /
> > properties in similar cases in which case all the fields may represent the
> > same thing ("return true if MC is older than xxx version").  Especially
> > when such change is not bound to a new feature so in which case it won't
> > make sense to allow user to even control that propoerty, even if we
> > exported this "x-virtio-scanout-fix" property, but now we must export it
> > because compat fields require it.
> >
> > However I think agree that having upstream specific MC versions in VMSD
> > checks is kind of unwanted.  I think the major problem is we don't have
> > that extra machine type abstract where we can have simply a number showing
> > the release of QEMU, then we can map that number to whatever
> > upstream/downstream machine types.  E.g.:
> >
> >   Release No.         Upstream version       Downstream version
> >   50                  9.0                    Y.0
> >   51                  9.1
> >   52                  9.2                    Y.1
>
> Downstream versions do not map cleanly to individual upstream versions
> across the whole code base. If we have two distinct features in upstream
> version X, each of them may map to a different downstream release.
>
> This can happen when downstream skips one or more upstream releases.
> One feature from the skipped release might be backported to an earlier
> downstream release, while other feature might not arrive downstream
> until they later rebase. Version based checks are an inherantly
> undesirable idea for a situation where there is any backporting taking
> place, whether its machine type versions or something else. Named feature
> / flag based checks are always the way to go.

I thought this should work better with things like this where we only want
to fix a break in ABI, and none of downstream should special case things
like such fix.. but I agree even with that in mind such case could be so
rare to bother with above scheme.  I could have raised a bad idea I
suppose. :-( Let's stick with the simple until someone has better idea.

Peter Xu