On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 09:12:51AM +0200, Denis V. Lunev wrote:
> On 5/22/24 18:10, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Wed, May 22, 2024 at 05:06:57PM +0200, Alexander Ivanov wrote:
> > > Add an interactive mode to the guest-exec command in the QEMU Guest Agent
> > > using the VSOCK communication mechanism. It enables interactive sessions
> > > with the executed command in the guest, allowing real-time input/output.
> > >
> > > Introduce "interactive" mode in the GuestExecCaptureOutputMode enumeration
> > > and add optional "cid" and "port" fields to the guest-exec response. In
> > > such a way user can execute guest-exec command, get CID and port number
> > > from the response and connect to the guest server. After connection user
> > > can communicate with the started process. All the data transmitted to the
> > > server is redirected to stdin. Data from stdout and stderr is redirected
> > > to the client. All data blocks are preceded by 32-bit headers (network
> > > byte order): most significant bit contains a sign of stream (stdout - 0,
> > > stderr - 1), all the other bits contain the payload size.
> > Every patch to 'guest-exec' takes us torwards re-inventing yet more
> > SSH/telnet functionality, but a poor simulation of it. For exmaple
> > this still lacks any separation of stdout/stderr streams, just
> > interleaving all their data back to the host. There is also zero
> > access control facilities beyond turning off the 'guest-exec'
> > command entirely.
> >
> > IMHO we should really consider "arbitrary command execution" to be
> > something to be handled by a separate process. Let the guest OS admin
> > decide separately from running QEMU GA, whether they want to enable
> > arbitrary host processes to have a trival privileged backdoor into
> > their guest.
> >
> > systemd now supports exposing SSH over VSOCK, and provides an SSH
> > proxy in the host to connect to VMs, while libvirt also has added
> > its own host SSH proxy to allow SSH based on libvirt VM name.
> >
> > For windows guests, there is something called PowerShell Direct
> > which exposes PowerShell over vmbus under HyperV. Possibly that
> > can be enabled in QEMU too if someone understands windows & vmbus
> > enough... ?
> >

> That makes a lot of sense. Why to support something that is
> already written. Though I have a note about Windows. The
> approach could be exactly the same - OpenSSH port for Windows
> is already known and on top of that VirtIO VSock driver is
> available too. Why not?

I've not tested it myself, but I would assume (hope) that the Powershell
Direct feature is available in Windows guests "out of the box". The OpenSSH
+ VSock option would require extra user install work. I tend to favour
things which will "just work" without extra config in the guest.

With regards,
Daniel