Hi Robert,

On 11/6/24 18:53, Robert Henry wrote:
QEMU plugin experts:

A few years I wrote a plugin for QEMU that saves the instruction stream to a file for offline analysis.  QEMU could fly along at about 10MIPS and the disk would soon fill up with large protobuf files.  The offline analysis runs at about 50kIPS, and does a variety of analyses, such as simple disassembly that includes kernel source file name and line number, popcount analyses of displacements, Markov chain probabilities, etc.

To get the speed up, I narrowed the scope of the plugin to only work with ARM64, although there's still a lot of support for x86_64.

 I have not kept pace with the QEMU plugin API changes, if any, to support vectors, masks, and so forth.

  *
    I did this work for my current employer, Microsoft.
  *
    I will retire in 3 weeks.`
  *
    Nobody in Microsoft seems interested in picking up this work.
  *
    I'm working with our open source office to get this more widely
    released.

The plugin code that runs in QEMU is complex, but relatively straightforward. The offline analysis code is idiosyncratic and somewhat fragile.

Thanks for trying to share your work with the community!

Do the QEMU plugin experts (cc'ed here mostly) have a suggestion for which public git repository service has worked "best" for other plugins that are not currently part of the QEMU source tree?

Cc'ing few more developer familiar with plugins and the source code
organisation.

I will try to get a repo in github.com/microsoft/ but I do not know what is involved.

Robert Henry
robhe...@microsoft.com
rrh.he...@gmail.com
https://github.com/robertHenry6bev <https://github.com/robertHenry6bev>