On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 05:47:34PM +0200, Maciej S. Szmigiero wrote:
> On 26.06.2024 03:51, Peter Xu wrote:

> > > (..)

> > > Better kernel API might be possible in the long term but for now we have
> > > to live with what we have right now.
> > >
> > > After all, adding true unordered loading - I mean not just moving the
> > > reassembly process from QEMU to the kernel but making the device itself
> > > accept buffers out out order - will likely be pretty complex (requiring
> > > adding such functionality to the device firmware, etc).
> >
> > I would expect the device will need to be able to provision the device
> > states so it became smaller objects rather than one binary object, then
> > either tag-able or address-able on those objects.

> > > The read() calls for multiple VFIO devices can be issued in parallel,
> > > and in fact they are in my patch set.
> >
> > I was talking about concurrency for one device.
>
> AFAIK with the current hardware the read speed is limited by the device
> itself, so adding additional reading threads wouldn't help.

OK.

> Once someone has the hardware which is limited by single reading thread
> that person can add the necessary kernel API (including unordered
>

> > > (..)

> > > Here, I think I can add a per-device limit parameter on the number of
> > > buffers received out-of-order or waiting to be loaded into the device -
> > > with a reasonable default.
> >
> > Yes that should work.
> >
> > I don't even expect people would change that, but this might be the
> > information people will need to know before putting it into a container if
> > it's larger than how qemu dynamically consumes memories here and there.
> > I'd expect it is still small enough so nobody will notice it (maybe a few
> > tens of MBs? but just wildly guessing, where tens of MBs could fall into
> > the "noise" memory allocation window of a VM).
>
> The single buffer size is 8 MiB so I think the safe default should be
> allowing 2 times the number of multifd channels.
>
> With 5 multifd channels that's 10 buffers * 8 MiB = 80 MiB worst
> case buffering per device.
>
> But this will need to be determined experimentally once such parameter
> is added to be sure it's enough.

Yes you may want to test it with a new logic to be able to throttle sending
on src qemu (because otherwise when dest qemu is very unlucky its buffer is
full but still the initial index chunk is missing), then making sure it's
relatively small but hopefully still keep the flow running as much as
possible.

> > > (..)

> > > Theoretically, it's obviously possible to wrap every operation in a
> > > request
> > > to some thread pool.
> > >

> > > But that would bring a lot of complexity, since instead of performing
> > > these
> > > operation directly now the requester will need to:
> > > 1) Prepare some "Operation" structure with the parameters of the requested
> > > operation (task).
> > > In your case this could be QEMU_OP_GET_VCPU_REGS operation using
> > > "OperationGetVCPURegs" struct containing vCPU number parameter = 1.
> >
> > Why such complexity is needed?
>
> I just gave an example how implementing running a individual task like
> "ioctl(KVM_GET_REGS)" (that you suggested above) in such thread pool would
> look like.
> > Can it be as simple as func(opaque) to be queued, then here
> > func==vfio_save_complete_precopy_async_thread, opaque=VFIODevice*?
>
> That would be possible, although in both implementations of:
> 1) adding a new thread pool type and wrapping device reading thread
> creation around such pool, OR:
> 2) a direct qemu_thread_create() call.
> the number of threads actually created would be the same.

Again, it's not about the number of threads that I worry.

If you create one thread but hard to manage it's the same.

OTOH if it's a common model I think it's fine if you create 16 or 32,
especially if when most of them are either idle or doing block IOs, then
they'll be put to sleep anyway.  That's not a concern at all.

> That's unless someone sets the multifd channel count below the number
> of VFIO devices - but one might argue that's not really a configuration
> where good performance is expected anyway.
>

> > > 2) Submit this operation to the thread pool and wait for it to complete,
> >
> > VFIO doesn't need to have its own code waiting.  If this pool is for
> > migration purpose in general, qemu migration framework will need to wait at
> > some point for all jobs to finish before moving on.  Perhaps it should be
> > at the end of the non-iterative session.
>
> So essentially, instead of calling save_live_complete_precopy_end handlers
> from the migration code you would like to hard-code its current VFIO
> implementation of calling
> vfio_save_complete_precopy_async_thread_thread_terminate().
>
> Only it wouldn't be then called VFIO precopy async thread terminate but some
> generic device state async precopy thread terminate function.

I don't understand what did you mean by "hard code".

What I was saying is if we target the worker thread pool to be used for
"concurrently dump vmstates", then it'll make sense to make sure all the
jobs there were flushed after qemu dumps all non-iterables (because this
should be the last step of the switchover).

I expect it looks like this:

  while (pool->active_threads) {
      qemu_sem_wait(&pool->job_done);
  }

> [...]
> > > "OperationGetVCPURegsResult",
> >
> > I think in this simplest case, the thread should simply run fn(opaque), in
> > which it should start to call multifd_queue_device_state() and queue
> > multifd jobs from the worker thread instead of the vfio dedicated threads.
> > I don't yet expect much to change in your code from that regard inside what
> > vfio_save_complete_precopy_async_thread() used to do.
> >

> > > 7) The execution thread needs to submit this result back to the requester,
> > >
> > > 8) The thread pool needs to decide whether to keep this (now idle)
> > > execution
> > > thread in the pool as a reserve thread or terminate it immediately,
> > >
> > > 9) The requester needs to be resumed somehow (returned from wait) now that
> > > the operation it requested is complete,
> > >
> > > 10) The requester needs the fetch the operation results from the proper
> > > "OperationResult" structure and decode them accordingly.
> > >

> > > As you can see, that's *a lot* of extra code that needs to be maintained
> > > for just a single operation type.
> >
> > I don't yet know why you designed it so complicated, but if I missed
> > something above please let me know.
>
> I explained above that's how running your example of "ioctl(KVM_GET_REGS)"
> in such thread pool would look like.
> (It wasn't a proposal to be actually implemented to be clear)

> > > Oh no, waiting for another device blocking read to complete before
> > > scheduling another device blocking read is surely going to negatively
> > > impact the performance.
> >
> > There can be e.g. 8 worker threads.  If you want you can make sure the
> > worker threads are at least more than vfio threads.  Then it will guarantee
> > vfio will dump / save() one device per thread concurrently.
>
> Yes, I wrote this requirement above as
> n_threads = min(n_channels_multifd, n_device_state_devices).
>

> > > For best performance we need to maximize parallelism - that means
> > > reading (and loading) all the VFIO devices present in parallel.
> > >
> > > The whole point of having per-device threads is for the whole operation
> > > to be I/O bound but never CPU bound on a reasonably fast machine - and
> > > especially not number-of-threads-in-pool bound.

> > > We have an upper limit on the count of saving threads already - it's the
> > > count of VFIO devices in the VM.
> > >
> > > The API in util/thread-pool.c is very basic and basically only allows
> > > submitting either AIO operations or generic function call operation
> > > but still within some AioContext.
> >
> > What I'm saying is a thread pool _without_ aio.  I think it might be called
> > ThreadPoolRaw and let ThreadPool depend on it, but I didn't further check
> > yet.
>
> So it's not using an existing thread pool implementation from
> util/thread-pool.c
> but essentially creating a new one - with probably some code commonality
> with the existing AIO one.
>
> That's possible but since util/thread-pool.c AFAIK isn't owned by the
> migration subsystem such new implementation will probably need also review by

Yes, that's how we normally should do it.  Obviously you still want to push
that in 9.1, so if you want you can create that pool implementation under
migration/, and we can try to move it over as a future rework, having block
people review that later.

> > > There's almost none of the operation execution logic I described above -
> > > all of these would need to be written and maintained.

> > > The save_state hook is executed too late - only after all iterable
> > > hooks have already transferred all their data.
> > >
> > > We want to start saving this device state as early as possible to not
> > > have to wait for any other device to transfer its data first.
> > >
> > > That's why the code introduces save_live_complete_precopy_begin hook
> > > that's guaranteed to be the very first hook called during switchover
> > > phase device state saving.
> >
> > I think I mis-typed.. What I wanted to say is vfio_save_complete_precopy(),
> > not vfio_save_state().
> >
> > There will be one challenge though where RAM is also an iterable, so RAM's
> > save_live_complete_precopy() can delay VFIO's, even if it simply only need
> > to enqueue a job.
> >
> > Two solutions I can think of:
> >
> >    (1) Provide a separate hook, e.g. save_live_complete_precopy_async(),
> >    when save_live_complete_precopy_async(opaque) is provided, instead of
> >    calling save_live_complete_precopy(), we inject that job into the worker
> >    threads.  In that case we can loop over *_precopy_async() before all the
> >    rest *_precopy() calls.
>
> That's basically the approach the current patch set is using, just not using
> pool worker threads (yet).
>
> Only the hook was renamed from save_live_complete_precopy_async to
> save_live_complete_precopy_begin upon your comment on RFC requesting that.
>
> >    (2) Make RAM's save_live_complete_precopy() also does similar enqueue
> >    when multifd enabled, so RAM will be saved in the worker thread too.
> >
> > However (2) can have other issues to work out.  Do you think (1) is still
> > doable?
> >

> Yes, I think (1) is the correct way to do it.

I don't think "correct" is the correct word to put it.. it's really a
matter of whether you want to push this earlier in-tree.

The 2nd proposal will be more than correct to me, IMHO.  That'll be really
helpful too also to VFIO when RAM can be saved concurrently, then it means
these things can be done all concurrently:

  - VFIO, one thread per one device
  - RAM, one thread
  - non-iterables

Otherwise 2+3 needs to be serialized.

If you're looking for downtime optimizations that may also relevant, afaiu.

And that's also one of the major points why I want to convince you not to
use a separate vfio thread, because AFAICT we simply have other users.

> > > That's a fair request, will keep this on mind.

> > > The threads themselves aren't very expensive as long as their number
> > > is kept within reasonable bounds.
> > >
> > > 4 additional threads (present only during active migration operation)
> > > with 4 VFIO devices is really not a lot.
> >
> > It's not about number, it's about management, and when something crashed at
> > some unwanted point, then we may want to know what happened to those
> > threads and how to recycle them.
>
> I guess if you are more comfortable with maintaining code written in such
> way then that's some argument for it too.

It's not about my flavour of maintenance.

We used to work on issues where we see a dangling thread operate on
migration objects even if it was created in the _previous_ migration,
cancelled and retried.  And the thread doesn't know that.  It was kind of
leaked and it causes issues hard to debug.

VFIO can cause similar thing if it can create some threads that migration
developers may overlook and not easy to manage.  Then it'll be the same
challenge when a vfio thread dangled for some reason and it'll just make
things harder to debug when issue happens.

I want to make sure if ever possible migration framework manages threads on
its own, so no thread will be fiddling around without being noticed.

Not to mention as I mentioned previously, that "having some async model to
dump vmstate" isn't something special to VFIO, it can easily be extended to
either RAM, or other normal VMSDs if we can tackle other issues here and
there.  The general request is the same.  It'll be a chaos if vfio starts
to create its own threads, then vDPA and others.  It is much saner to make
it a generic model to me.

Peter Xu