On 7/10/24 20:02, Michael Morrell wrote:
I'm working on a port to a new architecture and was noticing a
discrepancy in where the disassembler code lives.  There is a file
"target/<arch>/disas.c" for 4 architectures (avr, loongarch,
openrisc, and rx), but a file "disas/<arch>.c" for 14 architectures
(if I counted right).  It seems the 4 architectures using
"target/<arch>/disas.c" are more recently added so I was wondering if
that is now the preferred location.  I couldn't find information on
this, but I wasn't sure where to look.

loongarch puts it in target/<arch>/ because it reuses some code between disassembler and translator.

The others are not hosts, only targets. By putting the file in target/<arch>/, they do not need to add it to the "disassemblers" variable in meson.build---but they add it anyway. :)

All in all, if you're not in the loongarch situation I'd put it in disas/.

Paolo