On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 2:47 PM Michael S. Tsirkin <m...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 11:06:49AM +0900, David Stevens wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 7:56 PM Alyssa Ross <h...@alyssa.is> wrote:
> > >
> > > Adding David Stevens, who implemented SHMEM_MAP and SHMEM_UNMAP in
> > > crosvm a couple of years ago.
> > >
> > > David, I'd be particularly interested for your thoughts on the MEM_READ
> > > and MEM_WRITE commands, since as far as I know crosvm doesn't implement
> > > anything like that.  The discussion leading to those being added starts
> > > here:
> > >
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20240604185416.gb90...@fedora.redhat.com/
> > >
> > > It would be great if this could be standardised between QEMU and crosvm
> > > (and therefore have a clearer path toward being implemented in other
> > > VMMs)!
> >
> > Setting aside vhost-user for a moment, the DAX example given by Stefan
> > won't work in crosvm today.
> >
> > Is universal access to virtio shared memory regions actually mandated
> > by the virtio spec? Copying from virtiofs DAX to virtiofs sharing
> > seems reasonable enough, but what about virtio-pmem to virtio-blk?
> > What about screenshotting a framebuffer in virtio-gpu shared memory to
> > virtio-scsi? I guess with some plumbing in the VMM, it's solvable in a
> > virtualized environment. But what about when you have real hardware
> > that speaks virtio involved? That's outside my wheelhouse, but it
> > doesn't seem like that would be easy to solve.
>
> Yes, it can work for physical devices if allowed by host configuration.
> E.g. VFIO supports that I think. Don't think VDPA does.

I'm sure it can work, but that sounds more like a SHOULD (MAY?),
rather than a MUST.

> > For what it's worth, my interpretation of the target scenario:
> >
> > > Other backends don't see these mappings. If the guest submits a vring
> > > descriptor referencing a mapping to another backend, then that backend
> > > won't be able to access this memory
> >
> > is that it's omitting how the implementation is reconciled with
> > section 2.10.1 of v1.3 of the virtio spec, which states that:
> >
> > > References into shared memory regions are represented as offsets from
> > > the beginning of the region instead of absolute memory addresses. Offsets
> > > are used both for references between structures stored within shared
> > > memory and for requests placed in virtqueues that refer to shared memory.
> >
> > My interpretation of that statement is that putting raw guest physical
> > addresses corresponding to virtio shared memory regions into a vring
> > is a driver spec violation.
> >
> > -David
>
> This really applies within device I think. Should be clarified ...

You mean that a virtio device can use absolute memory addresses for
other devices' shared memory regions, but it can't use absolute memory
addresses for its own shared memory regions? That's a rather strange
requirement. Or is the statement simply giving an addressing strategy
that device type specifications are free to ignore?

-David